The Great North Swim takes place at the Low Wood Bay Resort Hotel and Marina, Lake Windermere, Cumbria, LA23 1LP.
How to get there
Due to the number of swimmers and spectators visiting the site, traffic around Windermere and Ambleside will be extremely busy. In order to minimise congestion there will be NO parking or dropping off at the event site.
Park, Sail and Walk:
You should have received your Sail Discount Voucher in your event pack. This entitles each swimmer to use Windermere Lake Cruises services operating from Bowness to Brockhole and Ambleside to Bowness piers at a discounted rate. The voucher is valid for:-
- Swimmer/competitor to sail at the discounted rate of £2.50 (return)
- Up to 4 persons accompanying the swimmer to sail at the reduced return fares of:
ADULT: £5 per person. CHILD: £2.50 (5-15 years old) per person.
From Brockhole Pier it is just less than a one mile walk to the event site. See back of voucher for more information and sail operating times.
- Please allow one hour travelling time from Bowness to the start area;
- Follow the car-parking signs in Bowness (applicable car parking rates apply);
- Take the Windermere Lake Cruises boat from Bowness to Brockhole;
- Follow the signs at Brockhole and walk to the event site (approximately 1 mile);
- Note all return departures to Bowness will be from Ambleside Pier only which is a one mile walk north of the event site.
Park and Walk:
It is highly recommended that you use the Park and Sail service, however limited parking is available in Ambleside/Waterhead. Follow the event parking signs. It is a one mile walk to the event site. Applicable car parking rates apply.
A bike park will be available and it will be staffed but we recommend that you bring a suitable bike lock and do not leave any valuables with your bike.
- Travelling to the event on the West Coast Mainline? Then take advantage of the exclusive Virgin Trains discount:
For you, your friends and family... whether you’re travelling to an event on your own or up to groups of nine, you can all get up to 50% off Virgin Trains Advance Fares. This exclusive discount on Virgin Trains is the cheapest, easiest and most comfortable way of getting you and your supporters to the start line.
Click here to book now - www.virgintrains.co.uk/nova
The Low Wood Bay Resort Hotel and Marina is proud to host the Great North Swim. We look forward to welcoming participants and supporters to the shore of Lake Windermere. For assistance before the event, telephone 08458 503 502 or visit www.englishlakes.co.uk.